In our journey to usher into the career search marketplace a more compelling and cost-effective approach to employer recruiting, we introduce our latest Online Job Tour® Version 2.0 release produced for client Mountain State Health Alliance (MSHA) and its flagship hospital & Level 1 Trauma Center Johnson City Medical Center (JCMC).
Innovation & US Patent: By harnessing the latest Internet, video, mobile, and web development technologies, US Patented (8,200,584) Online Job Tour is intended to provide jobseekers and those in their sphere of influence, a better and more comprehensive “virtual interview visit experience” that cannot be practically approached in the traditional recruiting attempt to inform prospective candidates and then use the expensive “candidate interview trip” to educate and outsell competitors and then fill open career positions which range from critical revenue producing physician jobs to staff positions.
Recruiting Tool: By using Online Job Tour, jobseekers gain a complete and comprehensive holistic preview of a working and living with our clients in their service area in far more depth than what is possible during the logistically challenging traditional interview process while we put the client’s best foot forward with our understanding of important and selling and recruiting tenets.
New Jobseeker Culture and a Competitive Market: Studies continue to show our consumer and social culture are now integrated with online content in our everyday lives and communications – a better approach is possible for both employers and jobseekers by using Online Job Tour. Many medical specialties are in unusual demand by the top hospital corporations who realize the value of obtaining the most talented practitioners. Emerging are interests in savings through improved recruiting operations and efforts to better sell and retain high caliber talent.
Online Job Tour® Version 2.0 release for JCMC: www.mshajobtour.com/jcmc
Eclipsing our recent release for another MSHA affiliate by more than 85 studio hours, Online Job Tour/JCMC is a stunning, extraordinary piece that exceeds the 300 page mark for the first time in our eight year production history, providing the most in-depth and comprehensive review of the hospital client and its extended service area (Johnson City/The Tri-Cities/Upper Northeast Tennessee region extended into Southwest VA and Western North Carolina):
- 72 HD videos (69 authentically produced by our staff) totaling 4 hours, 47 minutes of total video time in the JCMC Online Job Tour. This ranks #2 all-time for one production.
- During the choreographed 10-day onsite production visit approximately 4,426 digital photos were taken; 3,965 original photos were used in this production along with 42 contributed images from organizations and individuals making the total image count 4,007 (production record).
- 82 PDF files (88 total used in production – a new record) were produced from hard copy brochures and pamphlets for supplemental reading (for instance, school sign-up paperwork that is often handed to candidates when they are interviewing no longer need to be collected collect at any time during their considerations).
- 1,394 “unique URLs” in this project – produced “links” by our staff for this Online Job Tour – another record far eclipsing our previous high of 1050 – a testament to the extensiveness of this project.
- Also for the first time surpassing 300 total web pages (309) (and far ahead of the previous record of 272), JCMC is a phenomenally detailed and “content rich” piece. Despite this high number, 300 pages is very misleading as a “web page” is not like an 8 x 11 page but can scroll for many total “pages.” For example, the “The Big Town/Washington County History” page in this Online Job Tour is equivalent to 22 docx pages. All profile pages of each of the 50 featured people in this piece is at least two pages, etc.
- Tested for compatibility on major Internet browsers Chrome, Firefox, IE8, Safari.
- Mobile version is now included with all Version 2.0 releases and is designed for the iPhone and the latest smart phones with the latest technology that allows for the advanced streaming video player we use, which mitigates buffering and “sticking” due to a less-than-good wireless connection. (The mobile site is an abbreviated version with selected material picked that is oriented for brief viewing and as a “teaser” to the prospective user that encourages further examination of the content on the main site or “full site.)
- Version 2.0 incorporates browser detection capability/mobile detection to automatically present the appropriate tour for mobile/desktop-laptop-tablet the latest HTML5 streaming bit video player technology that recognizes the signal strength of the device accessing the video and adjusts the video output to limit buffering (the technology interface is only on premier smart phones determined to be the models and brands (such as the iPhone) that the target prospects of our clients use.
- Provides comprehensive presentation (as well as video/photo) of virtually every topic jobseekers need to understand, better than all combinations of resources available to potential candidates – in one place and efficiently provided in the fashion of an “interview visit experience.”
- We resist fake/stock images and virtually all content is directly from our own comprehensive and extremely detailed on-site production visit to the client and its service area. We welcome any material clients may provide but we do not rely on it nor promote clients need to expend such resources to contribute to any projects.
- 26 community leaders, 15 hospital executives/managers, and 9 physicians are featured and interviewed – 50 in total, and more are interviewed/introduced/shared through the production; this is FAR more than candidates can expect to meet and remember – even on multiple traditional interview visits.
- The ability for the candidate/prospect to re-visit as well as share this “experience” with family and friends is another “never-before-possible” phenomenon resulting from our compelling utility/invention.
- The competitive benefits are enormous; the ability to revisit this detailed virtual resource vs. other hospitals that rely on the expensive and multiple trips and what candidates may remember, is profound and a benefit stated by physician jobseekers in our conducted survey.
- The US patent provides an imposing advantage for our clients – even more in the extremely competitive medical fields with shortages in many specialties.
Mountain States Health Alliance, LLC. (MSHA) $1.3 Billion non-profit hospital company based in Johnson City Tennessee, the company owns 14 regional hospitals including its Trauma 1 flagship and children’s hospital on a dual campus. MSHA has a very positive regional brand that is well-established and pervasive – a compelling unity with its regional service area. The company has a traditional recruiting platform in place with its physician recruiting and centralized web material and now moving to centralize all physician and staff recruiting strategy seeking cost, efficiency, competitiveness, and retention improvement with its investment in Online Job Tour.
Hospital for this project:
Johnson City Medical Center (JCMC), MSHA’s flagship facility, is a 445-bed regional tertiary referral center for the entire service area. JCMC is one of six Level 1 Trauma Centers in the state Tennessee. As East Tennessee’s leading Heart Hospital, JCMC has been named as a Top 100 Heart Hospitals by Solucient. JCMC is also the leading Cancer Center in the region, enjoying relationships with Harvard, Duke, and Vanderbilt. JCMC is the first and one of two Nurse Magnet hospitals in the State.
Since 1911, Johnson City Medical Center (JCMC) has been dedicated to helping the people of our region attain their highest possible level of health. The second hospital built in Tennessee, JCMC is a comprehensive, acute-care teaching hospital affiliated with East Tennessee State University. A full range of specialty and subspecialty care services and some of the most advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques are available here. We provide private patient rooms and have separate specialized units for newborn, pediatric, medical and surgical intensive care. JCMC is accredited by The Joint Commission.
- The JCMC Trauma Center participates in research, quality improvement and injury prevention programs. Providing trauma care is unique and highly complex. JCMC’s goal is to provide the best evidence-based trauma care and to honor the privilege given to care for those who are injured in the service region.
- Its Heart Hospital is the premier cardiovascular care facility in our region, providing comprehensive and compassionate heart care for cardiac patients. Its mission is to substantially reduce cardiovascular disease, while providing excellent medical care. At Mountain States Health Alliance, all of their patients are assured the very best in cardiac care.
- Among five of MSHA’s hospitals which provide cancer treatment services, JCMC is the center focus campus in the company, leading the system’s evidence-based care provided by a multidisciplinary team. The company works hard to prevent complications and provide the safest possible treatment and provides the latest in technology and treatment.
- The 2012 Women’s Center offers loving care for every stage of a woman’s life. Its maternity care suites are welcoming and extra attention is given to the smallest details to make area mothers feel at home. Each suite is equipped with fetal monitoring equipment and has all features available as needed for delivery. A central patient monitoring system provides the latest medical advances in maternity care. High-risk services and surgical delivery suites are close at hand, if needed.
- Niswonger Children’s Hospital, annexed to JCMC, serves more than 200,000 children in a four-state, 29-county region. It is home to one of only six St. Jude Affiliate Clinics. The hospital is staffed by pediatric experts who know, love and care about children and their families.
MSHA seems to be in a constant state of growth and expansion as evidence by its recent acquisition of a hospital in neighboring Unicoi County, as well as 2012 Capital Improvements at JCMC alone: $65m Surgery Tower (16 OR suites, 20 PACU & post-op), $15m 20,000sfexpansion of Radiation Oncology (three linear accelerator vaults), $3.1M Women’s Center renovation of 22 birthing rooms, $400,000 for Washington County ambulance building on campus, $865,000 lower level lab 3,000sf expansion (microbiology and pathology).
A 29 county region covering parts of four states: Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky. The extended population of this region surpasses 600,000 – this is the largest population center and service area between Charlotte, NC and Columbus, Ohio (larger than Asheville, NC’s metro numbers as well as Lexington-Fayette County metro population numbers).
General Challenges and Problems with Hospital Recruiting:
According to the client’s studies, just 4% of available physicians prefer to work in rural areas. The recruiting challenges of hospitals in non-urban areas are complex and primarily include lack of familiarity of the location by jobseekers outside MSHA’s region, the often unfair negative perception that rural hospitals have less-quality facilities, personnel, relatively poor staffing, and thus a poorer quality of care.
Generally, it has been our observation throughout our test market a lack of professional selling experience at hospitals when developing recruiting materials (such as often well-produced but cliché-ridden company videos) recruiting strategy, and internal recruiters who are without professional selling experience and training. The traditional WAY of recruiting, which is to host unprepared potential candidates for a limited time while they negotiate significant challenges and are burdened with the need to do their own research to find answers to questions they perceive they need, often without professional advocacy, results in phenomenal expenses and losses. Generally, hospitals are pressed to engage expensive third party recruiting sourcing agencies (“headhunters”) in order to close positions that can remain open for more than 18 months – and those positions are often filled not with a substantial placement but with a stopgap solution/candidate.
Online Job Tour Version 2.0 is produced after a carefully choreographed 7-10 day production visit that focuses on its patented design architecture of covering topics jobseekers traditionally need to know while presenting the information in a manner that is efficient and places the client’s “best foot forward.” The work is too complex to be detailed here, but there are proven elements of selling, education, research, ergonomics of how consumers use and are growing in their comfort with web technologies and tools, the awareness of competitive issues and the costs of time and errors and personnel limitations of the hospital and the industry approach, which the product is made to offset and improve. The ultimate goal from the initial patent application is to enable employers to provide jobseekers with this tool to holistically understand working at the client and living in their service area while providing the client with a competitive advantage while saving them time and effort vs. traditional recruiting – as a preview and before commitments of time and resources are made by both sides. We are now at a point where we are provide a better and more convenient “virtual interview visit” for prospective candidates and their families to consider careers of our clients via Online Job Tour.
Product Background: After his father’s death due to a mistake made during a medical procedure in 2000, Carl Brickman, who had been a sales consultant after a successful technology sales career, and had been introduced to the staffing industry through a project with Robert Half, Intl. in Coral Gables, Florida, he chose to get involved in medical staffing. His now patented invention (July, 2012) was produced at the emergence of broadband to offset the numerous recruiting and selling limitations and challenges he noticed – by harnessing technologies to provide a better approach to informing jobseekers while selling jobs. Carl foresaw a new world culture that would be dominated by the Internet and mobile technologies – today we “live online” and our lives intertwine with online content: this is the focused competency of Promo Web Innovations, Inc., and we are thrilled with this product release, which continues Carl’s personal and professional mission “to positively impact lives by attracting better medical practitioners for our clients’ patient families and their communities through our work.”
The Invention (US Patent 8,200,584): Recognized by the US Patent and Trademark Office as the first technology system for advertising an employer’s careers via a computer network or computer readable media and efficiently providing information needed for a prospective employee to make a holistic assessment. It is comprised of a plurality of sections, with each section being devoted to one or more specific topics. The sections are accessible from an intuitive main menu. The sections provide an orderly arrangement of details concerning the employment position, significant co-workers, schools, housing, the community, nearby universities, an interview itinerary and links to local websites of interest, as well as views of residents (e.g., “community leaders”) regarding the area. The information may be presented in text, graphics, animation, audio and/or video formats.
Our 2005-2011 test market was extensive: After using it successfully as a private physician and specialty recruiter by Mr. Brickman, Promo Web Innovations, Inc. was founded after multiple client requests that they keep using this invention after the placement was made. (The first physician placed was a GYN-Oncologist at the Boston-Baskin Cancer Group in Memphis). Between 2005-2011 (patent application process) the invention was test-marketed and used by hospitals, physician groups and healthcare practices in 15 US states, primarily for physician and high-tier recruiting. Clients achieved significant savings with faster times-to-fill, business sooner, reduction the need for third party recruiters, saved onsite visit trips and their expenses, significantly improved closing percentages, first-preferred candidates signed, the reduction in the need for incentivized contracts, and significantly improved retention of practitioners.
Carl Brickman, Founder and Creative Director, is a detail-obsessed, passionate professional whose career mission is applying technology to impact recruiting that can make the difference in the lives of others. He leads a capable staff of six at Promo Web Innovations that has been together through our test market. We know that recruiting extends all the way to sick patients. We work late for them.